Jun 12, 2013

The Law of Infirmity

Day before yesterday Angel, my physical therapist, sent me packing. Ironically, I was just becoming comfortable showing off my ability to stretch a resistance-band with my knees. As usual Angel watched with a scowl, but this time she nodded and said, "Nice definition. Looks like we're done here. Go hike." As she left she added, "By the way, you have really flat feet."

At first I was thrilled. My knee was better. The 12-week hiking ban was lifted. But no sooner had my hiking aspirations begun to soar than I felt this stir of anxiety. Where to begin? Get in shape? Get new gear? A tent? New boots? Would new boots give me blisters? A new sleeping bag? Prescription sunglasses cost a fortune. What is a non-diary person supposed to eat?  How many crunchy peas can anyone endure? With the barriers down, I felt the press of time. I better hurry or I might miss the tide.

If you happen you be retired, you will understand. There is this urgent need to do it while you can. If you don't believe me, you need only consult the Law of Infirmity first documented 2,400 years ago by Ecdelus, the stoic. 1 I have often turned to Ecdelus for guidance.

Ecdelus' Law of Infirmity (250 BC)
There is no time to waste. Tomorrow, I start.

1. During the dark days of the Humbug cleansing, Ecdelus was expelled from Athens as a thanks for reminding people, that because they die, they should not procrastinate.