Jul 9, 2013

Lightweight Dogma

Fletcher Meadow, Yosemite NP
Couple days ago I was distracted. My big writing project, The Key to all Mythologies was going nowhere. That's not the actual name. I don't have a name. It's just a reminder.

What I do have is this mind-worm movie of Fletcher Meadow. Vogelsang peak on the right; Matthes Crest on the left; Rafferty Peak ahead. The breeze stirs the grasses and ripples the creek. Clouds fly by and Bushtits flitter around. It's nature's play on a giant granite proscenium.

Then Washburn Lake popped into my head, except I couldn't recall the name. It was a nag. I don't know about you; it's only takes that 'one-thing' to trigger my digressions: a forgotten book, an urge for some gimchee or the need to know that player "to-be-named-later" in the last botched Astros trade. This time it was that lake.

Washburn Lake, Yosemite NP
No sooner had I opened the map than it was clear I needed more maps; in particular, I needed Harrison's John Muir Trail Map-Pack. A trip to REI was in order. What else did I need? A tent? A Bag? A new stove?

An hour later I was working on a spreadsheet. I commandeered the Cuisinart digital scale and starting pulling gear out of the garage and the attic. By the time my wife got home, I'd weighed everything from hiking sticks to socks and underwear. She didn't seem pleased that I'd turn the kitchen into a staging area so we went out for Italian.
"How much is this gonna cost?" she wanted to know.

"Probably a thousand bucks."

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

To be honest I have no idea how much this is going to cost. She was right to ask. The silver lining of retirement underlies a dark tower of uncertainty.

Then she said, "You really want to do this don't you?

By yesterday afternoon, I had my first good list gear list. I'd kept the new gear purchases to a minimum, just a tent and sleeping bag. That gives me a base weight of just over 28 pounds. I knew I could carry 40 in my Osprey Aether 70. I love that pack; it feels like freedom.

This morning I was raring to go. I emailed Duane about another hike. We met for lunch. Ends up he's busy. He's going to lead a group of Boy Scouts over New Army Pass. I guess that cinched it—surely I could keep up with the Boy scouts! I sorta blurted out, "I'm thinking of hiking the John Muir Trail. I've got a starter gear list."

There was this awkward pause; some news takes a while to sink in. I don't think Duane knew where this piece fit in the puzzle. I felt like I'd unwillingly divulged a secret.

"No kidding? When?"

I hadn't really thought that far. "Next summer, maybe?"

Ever get that sinking feeling that you don't know what you've really done. I had that feeling. Life's big decisions seem to be like that.

"Really?" He nodded thoughtfully and then skeptically. "How did your base weight come out?"

"About 28 pounds."

"Really?! Sure you want to carry that much?"

Please understand that Duane is scientist. He's dubious, but not close minded. When I dropped him off at the Lab, he pulled his iphone from his pocket. "What if send you some web sites. You might want to bone up on lightweight backpacking."

I just looked at Backpackinglight.com. Till now I thought that once the leg was good again, I'd just be hiking. This is a whole new universe. I wonder how much this is going to cost.

That reminds me. There's still time to get to REI. I need that Harrison's JMT Map.