Jun 21, 2013

Lunch with Duane

I should have thought of it before. I called Duane.

Solar System Labs
We worked together at Solar System Labs. Duane had the office across the hall. He was leading an effort to improve spacecraft operations. I was trying to do the same for software. We became partners in crime. We shared a crazy notion that a spacecraft ground systems ought to make spacecraft operations easier. But, as a taxpayer, you needn't have worried. Our management recognized progress for the evil it is and used its millions carefully to protect fend off progress.

Our jobs were meeting madness. We ate lunch in our offices; that was the only time to fend off the email deluge. One day a couple years ago I noticed that he had spread out some topo maps. I stuck my head in his door. "The Sierras?" I asked.

"Yup. Got a hike planned out of Edison Lake."

I hadn't known he was a hiker. I felt an instant bond. I was much too busy fending off the budget predators to hike myself, but I felt a twinge of desire just seeing the maps. After that day we often talked about hiking. He would trace out these amazing adventures and bring back jaw-dropping photos. It was welcome respite from the relentless demands for paper no one would ever see.

Earlier this week I remembered staring at maps in his office. So I dropped him a note and we had lunch today. He couldn't say enough about hiking plans and hiking gear. It was inspiring, energizing. I told him my knee was better. I asked if he was interested in a San Gabriel hike. I've been wanting to hike Strayns Canyon. He seemed jazzed. It's a plan.